Saturday 6 April 2013

After nursing our baby, what is the next step?

Hello Everyone!

Some of you might yourself these questions closer to the arrival of baby:


“Should I breastfeed my baby?” or

“Will nursing cause my breasts to sag?” or

 

“Will nursing cause my breasts to shrink?”


We want to give our baby the best start we can, we can't help but be concerned. Our breasts may or may not return to their pre-breastfeeding size or shape. Some women's breasts stay large, and others shrink.
What causes breasts to sag?
-  Not wearing right supportive bras during and after pregnancy
-  Losing too much weight too quickly (see my records below)
-  Aging
-  Smoking
The new recent study indicates that breast-feeding won’t make a new mom’s breasts sag, but having more babies might.
I am proud to say that I have successfully breastfed (bottle-fed to be precise. I have short and inverted nipples, so latching my babies directly are almost impossible) for at least a year for 2 of my children. Not only that I saved a lot of money on the formula milks. I know I have also given them the best nutrition they could have during early stage of their life.
Here some tips that I used to maintain my breasts after breastfeeding:
1) Clarins ‘Bust Beauty Extra-Lift Gel’ and ‘Bust Beauty Firming Lotion’
My friend recommended these products to me as they work well for her. Personally, I'm quite sceptical about any bust treatment cream/lotion and thus didn’t bother to try them after my first pregnancy (well, after all my breasts were still firmed back then). However I decided to gave these products a shot after noticing changes on my breasts. I have tried these products for a month now and I'm quite impressed by the result. I definitely noticed some tightening of the skin around my breasts. Clarins products might work for me and not for some of you thus finding right cream/lotion is important. Please bear in mind that nothing is going to magically drag your breasts up by 5 cm unless you do breast lift.
Read my post on 'Clarins Products'.


                         




2) Simple Chest Workout
I want to share with you simple chest workout that help to lift firm and shape our breasts  which I've learned from my mum.  She'll always be my role model. She's been doing this chest workout for at least 20 years now. Remember the result is not immediate. You need to do these exercises at least 3 times a week. Of course the more you do, the quicker the result will show. I love to do this workout before taking my showers, day and night. This workout also helps to tone your arms too.  
Here some simple chest exercise to follow:

1) Regular Chest Press 
Arms up and slightly bend. Bring both arms to the centre while maintaining them at right angle 90° and then pull back to the original position. Do 2 sets of 12 repetitions.


2) Arm Pull
Arms up and slightly bend. Lift arms and reach for the sky. Pull down both arms and align with shoulders. Do 2 sets of 12 repetitions.

 
 

3) Tilted Chest Press
Tilt body slightly forward and knees slightly bend. Cross hands in front and pull arms up toward shoulders. Do 2 sets of 12 repetitions.



4) Push and Flex
Fold arms in front of you (squat position is optional), left hand on top of right hand. Try imagining pushing your hands away from your arms and do for 12 counts (it's almost like a jerking motion), and switch hand. Do 2 set of repetitions.



Alternative way, cross hands in prayer position. Straighten elbows and press both palms together, hold for 5 seconds and switch hand. Do 2 set of repetitions.


Note: I am not a professional trainer; since this workout work for my mom and myself, why not share it with all of you.  
3) Manage a steady weight
I know every woman want to shed the pregnancy weights almost immediately. Gaining and losing weight causes changes in the size of breasts. Gaining weight causes the breasts to enlarge which results in stretches on the skin. After this, when we lose weight, the breast skin may appear to be stretched and the breasts may appear empty and have a saggy look.  

I have recorded the changes on the size of my bra cup during my 2 pregnancies for references:

1st Pregnancy

Normal
Pregnancy
Nursing
Stop Nursing
Bra Cup/Size
B70
D75
C80
D70
Weight (kg)
58
68
65
5*

Remarks: I have gained about 10 kg and only managed to retain back my pre-pregnancy weight after stopped breastfeeding (the process of losing weight was gradual) and my breasts were fuller.

2nd Pregnancy

Normal
Pregnancy
Nursing
Stop Nursing
Bra Cup/Size
D70
D85
C80
B70
Weight (kg)
58
66
50
53

Remarks: I gained only 6 kg on my pregnancy and I lost 16 kg while breastfeeding. I lost more than I gained. 3 months after birth, I weighed only 50 kg (there was months that I weight dropped to 48-49kg). No, I was not on diet; I ate more than I used to. My friends were shocked to see a sudden change in my big appetite at that time. Although I gained some weight after that, my breasts remain relatively small and slightly droopy. I realized that fluctuation in my weight could have caused my breasts to shrink and lose their fit. Note: The above illustrations are all based from my experiences and might not applicable to some of you - you are very lucky! ^^

4) Quit Smoking
Smoking could harm lung and heart, but did you know it could change the shapes of your breast too? Smoking destroys elastin, the protein that gives skin its elasticity. With lower levels of elastin, the breasts droop and sag.
                         

                                      
5) Wearing Correct Bra while exercising
Running is one of the quickest ways to burn those fats. However running without proper support may bring harm to our breasts. The breasts move in 3 directions - vertically, horizontally and in overall figure-8 motion. Without a proper support, breasts move too freely and may stretch the ligaments and leads to sagging. So mommies, do not forget to wear a sports bra whenever you exercise.

Lastly I hope this entry will be useful and will encourage mommies-to-be and nursing mommies to continue breastfeeding. Till now I've not regretted my decision to breastfed my children because I know with good products and regular exercises I could still able to tone and firm my breasts. Many mommies want to breastfeed but they couldn't due to insufficient supply of breastmilk. So for mommies who have good supplies please continue giving your babies breastmilk for at least 6 months. Remember, breastmilk is best for growing infants. Don't let a fear of sagging breasts stop you from breast-feeding.
                     

SAY YES TO BREASTMILK! and Sorry for the long entry.


Love, Shantz
 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment